Director of International Services & Student Support, Peralta Community College District
In this episode, Thomas Torres-Gil was interviewed by Bakhtiyor Isoev. Thomas Torres-Gil has worked with international students since 2006 and at the Peralta Community College District since 2008. At PCCD, Thomas had led initiatives that include opening a dedicated Berkeley City College International Office, converting the international student application to a 100% digital process (Terra Dotta), and launched OpenCCC’s International Student Application portal.
As the Director of the International Office, Thomas develops marketing and recruitment strategies, F-1 advising policies and guidance, retention strategies, and serves as the PDSO. The goals of the office are to improve and enhance PCCD’s international students’ experiences on campus and in the community. At PCCD, Thomas has worked as an International Student Support Specialist, Program Manager, and now Director.
Thomas holds a Master of Art in Latin American and Iberian Studies in 2008 from UC Santa Barbara as well as a Bachelor of Art in History with a Minor in Spanish. In 2003, Thomas studied at La Universidad de Chile in Santiago as an exchange student.
In this episode, Mr Thomas and I will discuss the “Best practices of technology transformation in Community Colleges”. This episode will give you a much better understanding of the type of challenges community colleges face and what technological advancements could help transform student success programming.
- Technology Transformation
- Getting into the Field of International Student Services and Scholar Empowerment.
- Student Success
- Challenges in Community College
- What Makes Peralta Community College District Unique
- Changes and Lessons Learned during the Pandemic
- Technological Advancements to make Community College Better
- Transpersonal Transformation when Student Success Work Outside of the Classroom
- Biggest Area of Opportunity to Create a Better Future for Students
- Advice for Community College and Higher Education Institution